As I'm sure you all know, I've been injured. I tried to run the half-marathon on May 17, but dropped out at around the 6-mile mark due to my IT-band pain. It was frustrating, to say the least, to train for 12 weeks, never miss a workout, then not finish the race. That's life, though.
So since then, I've seen an orthopod (sure it was my friend who's a 3rd year resident, but that counts), rested, iced, gone to physical therapy, and done just about everything else that I can think of that might make me get better. I'm slowly getting better. It seems that every time that my knee has felt good over the past several weeks, I've gone for a run and set myself back.
This week, I went 2 miles on the treadmill on Monday, then took yesterday off. Today, I was able to go three miles outside with very minimal pain. Actually, it was the best run I've had since May 16, so I'm encouraged. I've been mauling my IT band with a foam roller, which I think has helped more than anything.
Unfortunately, I haven't been tracking my miles very well since the race, but there haven't been very many. So my 2009 totals will be off a little bit.
My marathon training starts this weekend. I'm supposed to go for a 6-mile run with my group, but I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go. I have mixed feelings because I don't want to hurt myself coming back too fast, but I also don't want to get too far behind. I will most probably skip it, then be ready next weekend for 7-miles or in two weekends for 5-miles. We'll see.
Today: 3 encouraging miles
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sorry, buddy. I hope you start to improve soon. Good luck and have a fun weekend!
ReplyDelete