Today was speed work Wednesday. There's this principle in marathon training called the "Yasso 800." Basically, this guy Bart Yasso says that if you're strong enough to run a workout of 10x800m repeats, then your 800 time will roughly be your marathon time (except in hours:minutes instead of minutes:seconds). So if you can run 10x800m in 4 minutes a piece, then you should be able to run a 4 hour marathon. Simple enough, right? My workouts right now are 400m repeats and I have no idea if the same principle applies for 400m repeats and half-marathon time. I think it's close, but my half marathon will be about 10 minutes slower than my 400m repeat time.
Mile 1 warmup: 8:11 (aggressive warm-up)
400m #1: 1:41
400m #2: 1:40
400m #3: 1:37
400m #4: 1:41
400m #5: 1:39
400m #6: 1:38
400m #7: 1:37
400m #8: 1:38
400m #9: 1:38
400m #10: 1:35
Then half-mile cool-down at about 9:00/mile pace.
Today, instead of 200m rest in between my intervals, I rested for 1:40, since that was my goal 400m time. My half-marathon will be significantly slower than 1:40 (my goal is 1:50:59). Maybe I went too hard on my repeats or I'm not going hard enough on my long runs. Also, I actually ran 0.25mile repeats based on my Garmin, which is a touch shorter than 400m (396m to be exact), so all of my repeats should be about a second longer, not that it makes much difference.
Total: 5.18 miles
This week: 14.18 miles
2009: 432.14 miles
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment