Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I worked hard today. I did a 45-minute tempo run, which counts as my speed work for the week. Now that I have my fancy Garmin, I'm more easily able to track my pace during a tempo run. Again, during a tempo, I'm supposed to start out easy and gradually work my way up over 25 minutes or so to a fast pace that I hold for just a few minutes. Then, I finish with a nice, easy cool-down. I was sort of successful today.

It was really windy. Actually, I'm proud of myself for getting out. I kept looking at the weather and was trying to figure out what time would be the best to run, the finally decided to just go out in the cold wind. I had to be prepared if the weather is crappy on race day.

Mile 1 -- 8:44. I went out really easy or so I thought. I had actually hoped to be around 9:00, but I was going straight downwind, so I think that my effort was appropriate.

Mile 2 -- 8:47. Again, the wind was a factor, as I turned into the wind right before I started the second mile. I feel like I went harder than the first mile, but not too much. I really turned it up for mile 3.

Mile 3 -- 7:44. I was into the wind for the first 0.2, then downwind for 0.8. I was running pretty hard, but not quite at max effort yet.

Mile 4 -- 7:29. I hit max effort about halfway through this mile and tried to hold it until the end, but I think that I tailed off the last 0.2 or so. Regardless, it was a strong split (though 100% downwind) and I was thoroughly gassed at the end of it. I stopped and walked for a minute, then got some water from the water fountain, then jogged home easily

Mile 5 to 5.27 -- 9:40/mile. Easy jog home.

In all, my effort was almost where I wanted it. I would have rather been a bit faster on the second mile and a bit slower on the third mile, but it's hard to know what my "true" pace was because of the wind (20mph with 35mph gusts). In all, a great workout.

Today: 5.27 miles at 8:32/mile pace (average)
This week: 11.55 miles
2009: 342.4 miles
Shoe milage: 278.42 (I think that they're feeling better after a 4-run week last week. Maybe I can get 400 miles out of them, afterall)

No comments:

Post a Comment